Orono Ontario Agricultural Fair this weekend!
This will make 22 years that I have competed in the Cultural Expressions class (Knitting, Sewing, etc) I was a bit surprised when DH pointed this out to me. I have won a few ribbons over this time. I have been thinking of sewing them into a blanket. Maybe enter it in #81 - Something new and useful from something old… Maybe not ;0)
What I have learned over the years participating in the fair.
- People can be trusted with your precious handmade stuff. I have never lost anything.
- The best item doesn’t always win. Occasionally something splendid is not understood or appreciated by the Judges.
- Judges don’t do nuance, If an item needs explanation to truly appreciate it e.g. special fibre or technique, don’t enter it!
- Colour rules, not texture, and rarely complexity
- If an item is 3 dimensional i.e. a tea cosy, put a teapot in it. (I have won so many ribbons following this dictum). Note the Barbie in the Barbie Dress, simple I know, but you would be amazed how many people don’t…
- Before handing anything in double check for loose threads, and undarned ends.
- Take your own coiless safety pins, and a hole punch. The volunteer pinning the tag on the alpaca/silk lace weight shawl that you spent all summer knitting, is probably not at knitter and has no concept how much damage that straight pin and heavy tag can do in a weekend.
- Once you have handed in your entries, go home put up your feet and relax.
I can tell you after all these years I have stage fright every time. I stress out, and can’t sleep and I make DH & DS go look to see how I did.
Why, do it you ask? Well my Grandmother, my Mother, my Aunt, and a long line of women before them in my family have entered local country fairs in the past and I am carrying on the tradition. Handmade / Handcrafted needs to continue, people need to see it as a part of our heritage and a fair without baking, quilts and handmade stuff just isn’t a fair anymore. That’s why I do it!
Here is the Box and the Bag.
Handed in Thursday morning, went in for results in the evening.
The Competition was really stiff this year! 17 Entries – 9 winners
- 13 – Tea Cosy -2nd
- 26 – Ladies Dress The Dress 3.0 - 1st
- 37 – Shawl - 2nd
- 44 – Cardigan Child’s knit - 4th
- 50 – Mittens - 1st
- 52a – Socks - 4th
- 76 – Doll Clothing knit (Dress, Underwear, and Hat) – 1st
- 80 – Handspun skein : Pastel rainbow Superwash merino Cream/pink/green/sparkle -1st
- 85 – Handspun Article 1st
(5) 1st, (2) 2nd, (0) 3rd, (2) 4th, (1) show special
Total Prizes $ 31.50
We are Demonstrating Hand spinning, Knitting, and other fibre crafts at the fair on Sunday. We’re in the Ag barn, come see us. More pics and story on Wednesday.
Next week I plan to knock something off the WIP list.
Current WIP List (11)
- Foots first Socks – my design 45% done started July/13
- Rose Harbour Shawl 75% done started Jun 28/13
- Isla lace Pillowcase edge 52% done started June 18/13
- Box of Boxes Blanket – Long term project ( 28 squares) started Jan 23/13
- Beryl Blanket - Long term project (67 + 3 = 70 hexes) started Nov 21/11
- Mile a minute afghan - crochet 50% done started Apr 24/13
- Pine Forest Baby Blanket 50% done started Jan 11/12
- Sea of Dreams Blanket 75% done started Mar 9/13
- SPROUT – Growing Roots sweater 60% done started May 17/12
- Top Down Swing Pullover – 98% done started Jan 1/13
- Fanflower Fling 50% done started Jul 12/13
Ruffle ScarfDone started Dec 3/12 finished Jul 7/13 Cozy Winter ShawlDone started Dec 1/12 – finished Jul 11/13 Eileen DressDone started Jun 21/13 – finished Jul 11/13 Easy Peasy Shawl- Done started Jul 14/12 – finished Jul 17/13 All about love shawletteDone Started Aug 3/13 - finished August 17/13
FO’s 2013 = 88 + 1 = 89
97 Squares & Hexes
WIPS 2013 = 11
Used of 38 purchased patterns from Rav = 9 (29 to go)
Stash Used 2013 = 74 + 2 = 76
Sewing FO’s = 3
Books 2013 = 26 + 1 = 27
Thanks again for visiting,
cya next week :0)
come join me in the blogpond :0)
Oh and FYI I have 50% off Back to School Sale at my Ravelry Shop, now we all have so much time with the kids in school. Sale lasts to the end of the month. 3 months till Christmas people!